The Beauty of Dual Language

This site is about my personal experiences in the educational field, bilingualism and cultural encountering. Este espacio tiene información personal desde la perspectiva educativa, de la educación bilingüe y sobre experiencias culturales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Olympia, Washington

I’m originally from Lima, Peru and have been in bilingual education “forever.” I do believe in the great social and academic advantages of bilingualism. I did all my schooling in Perú (of which I can not be prouder!). Later on I migrated to the United States as an exchange teacher for Lincoln Options Elementary school in Olympia, did my masters in Bilingual and multicultural education at Pacific Oaks University in Seattle and now I am teaching at the bilingual Evergreen elementary school in Shelton, Washington.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Bringing a piece of my homeland

Ver versión en español abajo

Hello again,

I have lots of things to share with you all. The following story happened around April and May 2005. I’ll start by saying that…The time for the "Multicultural Night" at Evergreen elementary school


was approaching, and everybody was talking about it. We (the teachers) had to think of a country and display something about the country we chose, the night of May 20th. Guess which country I went for? You're so right! PERÚ, of course! It was a perfect excuse to teach my children a part of myself.

We made Pan Flutes (an Andean ancient musical instrument) out of straws. Using our math skills we measured seven straws, each one 0.5 inches smaller than the other. They turned out pretty cool! We also made little booklets with the information about the Pan Flutes’ origin, and of course where they come from? Yes, PERÚ! We had the South American map on the front and they identified where PERÚ is by coloring it. On the back of the book they drew the Peruvian flag with its coat of arms. That was our display! What was my purpose with this? Simple, I wanted my children, to get to know where geographically her teacher's country is located, as well as to get to know this musical instrument that has been played by indigenous people (even before the Conquest) creating mellow and magical melodies for a long time in Perú; Furthermore, I wanted them to wonder and to make connections with their own country, which they did.

I also showed them a video about Perú where they could see real images of people, places, art, culture, folk, etc. They kept asking me “do you come from there?” And when they saw the word “Lima,” they answered themselves. On the video, we saw a dance “Marinera,” and guess what? I chose ten children (five boys and five girls) and decided to teach them how to dance it. I am not a dance teacher, but remembering some of steps, my teachers taught me (basic ones) I made up the choreography. It took us three weeks to have it ready. We rehearsed twenty minutes every day and we got it. They are amazing! One parent helped us with the costumes and we were ready to shine! Thank goodness!

The “Multicultural Night” finally came, and they looked adorable! From the moment they had the costumes on they danced, danced and danced in the classroom. They knew their steps by heart. I was nervous and touched at the same time. I was looking at a piece of my homeland in my wonderful children. They were enjoying it! When it was our turn to go, I just walked them to their positions and they took it from there. The music played and they excelled. I was speechless, my body shook with emotions and my eyes were watery. They made me so proud! The audience just applauded and congratulated them. They did it!

With this “short” story I just wanted to share another experience with my great second graders. They know I love my country and hopefully one day they will visit it. These children have a broader scenario of the world. They know that there are many people and other cool things outside the United States as well. Perhaps what I am trying to say is that if we appreciate each other’s culture, we’ll love our own. We’ll learn how similar we are and this finding will enable us to understand our differences better. We’ll be proud of simply BEING and we’ll truly be part of just ONE planet.

Your friend,

Maribel Vilchez



Trayendo un Pedazo de mi Tierra

See English version above

Hola a todos,

Tengo tantas cosas que contarles pero empezaré con una. Esto sucedió alrededor de abril y mayo. La “Noche Multicultural” se aproximaba en el colegio primario Evergreen y todos hablaban de eso. Nosotros (los profesores) teníamos que elegir un país y hacer una pequeña exposición sobre algo del país que elegimos la noche del 20 de mayo. Adivinen ¿qué país elegí? ¡Acertaron! PERÚ por supuesto. Este evento se convirtió en la excusa perfecta para enseñar a mis niños una parte de mí.

En el salón hicimos “Zampoñas” (un instrumento musical ancestral andino) de cañitas (sorbetes, popotes). Con nuestros conocimientos matemáticos de medición cortamos siete cañitas, cada una medía 1.5cm menos que la otra, el resultado fue muy bueno. También hicimos unos libritos con información del origen de la “Zampoña” y por supuesto su procedencia. Sí, PERÚ. En la portada del librito pusimos el mapa de Sudamérica en el que tenían que ubicar y colorear el mapa del Perú y en la parte posterior del libro la bandera del Perú con su escudo. De estos dos elementos constó nuestra exposición. Pero ¿cuál era mi propósito con esto? Simple. Quise que mis alumnos identificaran geográficamente la ubicación del país de su profesora, que conocieran de la “Zampoña”, un instrumento ancestral que ha sido tocado por personas indígenas (mucho antes de la conquista) creando música melodiosa y mágica por mucho tiempo en el Perú. Del mismo modo quise despertar en ellos la curiosidad por su país, lo que por supuesto sucedió.

También les mostré un video del Perú, en el que pudieron ver imágenes reales de personas, lugares, arte, cultura, folclore, etc. Mientras corría el video preguntaban una y otra vez ¿vienes de allí? Hasta que por fin llegamos a la parte de Lima y la respuesta les llegó. En el video vimos el baile “Marinera” y ¿adivinen que? Elegí diez niños (cinco niños y cinco niñas) y decidí enseñarles a bailar “Marinera” . Aunque no soy una maestra de danzas, recordé lo que algunas de mis profesoras me enseñaron (pasos básicos) y elaboré la coreografía. Nos tomó tres semanas para aprenderla, ensayamos por veinte minutos diariamente hasta que lo conseguimos. Estos niños son increíbles. Una madre de familia nos ayudo con el vestuario y estábamos listos para brillar. ¡Gracias a Dios!

La “Noche Multicultural” finalmente llegó y se veían adorables, desde el momento en el que se vistieron empezaron a bailar sin parar en el salón, se sabían los pasos de memoria. Me sentía nerviosa pero al mismo tiempo conmovida. En ese momento ante mis ojos podía ver un pedazo de mi tierra en mis niños maravillosos. ¡Lo disfrutaban!

Al llegar nuestro turno, los posicioné e inmediatamente tomaron las riendas. La música empezó a tocar y brillaron. Me quedé sin palabras, mi cuerpo se estremeció y mis ojos se mojaron. Me hicieron sentir tan orgullosa de ser su profesora. El público los aplaudió y felicitó.

Con este “pequeño” relato solo quise compartir otra de mis experiencias con mis grandiosos niños del segundo grado. Ellos saben que amo a mi país y ojala algún día ellos lo puedan visitar. Estos niños tienen un escenario más amplio del mundo. Saben que existen otras personas y cosas fascinantes fuera de los Estados Unidos también.

Quizás lo que quiero expresar con esto, es que si valoramos la cultura del otro, amaremos la propia, nos daremos cuenta de nuestras semejanzas, además de entender las diferencias. Nos sentiremos orgullosos de simplemente SER y seremos realmente miembros de UN solo planeta.

Su amiga,

Maribel Vilchez


1 Comments:

Blogger Victor Mechán Mendez said...

Hi:

Sure, you are a splendid peruvian's ambassador.We all here (in Peru) are very proud that you share our customs with the people you meet there.
Try to speak to your pupils about the "Man of Sipan",whose picture is at th first page of my webblog.

Good bye.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home