The Beauty of Dual Language

This site is about my personal experiences in the educational field, bilingualism and cultural encountering. Este espacio tiene información personal desde la perspectiva educativa, de la educación bilingüe y sobre experiencias culturales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Olympia, Washington

I’m originally from Lima, Peru and have been in bilingual education “forever.” I do believe in the great social and academic advantages of bilingualism. I did all my schooling in Perú (of which I can not be prouder!). Later on I migrated to the United States as an exchange teacher for Lincoln Options Elementary school in Olympia, did my masters in Bilingual and multicultural education at Pacific Oaks University in Seattle and now I am teaching at the bilingual Evergreen elementary school in Shelton, Washington.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

When did you come to America? Ver versión en español abajo

I was asked this question a few days ago and I am still thinking about it. I attended a training class for language strategies teaching and I met many interesting people there. I was the only Latina, and I introduced myself as a Peruvian, who has been in bilingual education “forever.” I am the result of bilingualism and I am extending it to children from our future generation outside my homeland.

When I was asked when I arrived in “America” meaning “ the United States of America” I said “I never left America, I am still here,” the person replied “Come on, you now what I mean!” “I think that I am a little confused” I said back to her. We both knew what we were talking about but I wanted this teacher to see my point of view.

This expression might not sound offensive but it excludes the other countries in the continent (America as a whole or North America as one of the two continents– see article below.) I believe that saying “I am American” meaning “I am an US American” it is embedded in the US culture, in its people and in many, many people around the world. Indeed, people are not aware of the impact this word is having on other people like me. Every time I hear it, I feel that they want me to see the United States as the only place here, and it is not. I am American as well but I was not born in the United States. I don’t want to be called American because I am Peruvian but I want the acknowledgement of belonging to this continent. We should all acquire the name of our nationality after our country’s name.

We should teach children to acknowledge people from every country in this continent also as “Americans.” We should provide with the opportunity for children and for ourselves to see each other as one group from different countries. Once more, my point here is to embrace people through simple things that we may not be aware of, but easily could contribute to the growth and improvement of our societies. Education does not only happen in a classroom setting but also in our every day life.

¿Cuándo llegaste a América?
See English version above

Esta pregunta me la hicieron hace algunos días y aún estoy pensando en ella. La semana pasada asistí a una clase sobre estrategias de enseñanza de idiomas y conocí a personas muy interesantes. Fui la única latina y me presenté como una peruana que ha estado involucrada en el bilingüismo por “siempre”. Soy el resultado de la educación bilingüe y la estoy llevando a niños fuera de mi tierra pero que serán nuestra futura generación.

Cuando me preguntaron cuando había llegado a “América” queriendo decir “Estados Unidos” dije “Nunca he salido de América, todavía estoy aquí” “ya pues, sabes a lo que me refiero” me contestó la persona “Creo que estoy un poco confundida” añadí. Ambas sabíamos de lo que estábamos hablando pero yo quería que esta profesora viese mi punto de vista.

La expresión no puede sonar ofensiva, pero sin embargo excluye a los otros países del continente (América como uno solo, o América como uno de los dos continentes – véase articulo abajo). Pienso que el decir “Soy americano” en ves de “estadounidense o usamericano” está embebido en la cultura estadounidense, en su gente y en muchas, muchas personas del mundo. De hecho, las personas no se dan cuenta del impacto que esta expresión causa en personas como yo. Cada vez que escucho esta expresión siento que me están queriendo decir que los Estados Unidos es el único lugar en el continente, y no es cierto. No quiero tomar el nombre de americana porque soy peruana, pero quiero el reconocimiento de pertenecer a este continente. Todos deberíamos tener como nombre de nuestra nacionalidad el derivado del nombre de nuestro país. Pienso que debemos enseñar a los niños a reconocer a las personas de los otros países de este continente como “americanos” también.

Debemos de brindar la oportunidad a los niños y a nosotros mismos de vernos como un grupo de diferentes países. Una vez más mi punto es el acoger a personas a través de cosas simples que muchas veces no son obvias pero que fácilmente podrían contribuir con el crecimiento y mejora de nuestras sociedades. La educación no sólo se da en el aula de clase sino que también en nuestra vida diaria.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You probably are not aware that this name for the americans came from european people during second world war. As you probably know by now, everything becomes popular by use, like coke or micky dee that's something you learn only after you live quite awhile in the USA. We need at least 4 to 5 years to really get adapted to the american culture. But We as peruvians are very conservative people like dumb spanish are. We are so dull some times. So just let it go relax and enjoy your life in America. Or just come back to Peru while you have time. Peruvians are a very special type of people.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Maribel Vilchez said...

You are so right! Europeans gave this denomination to the "new" continent they were arriving to, but the United States took it, and after that nobody said anything about it. I am not freaking out about it all the time. I just want everyone to be aware of this. As I said in my article I don't want Peruvians to own the "American" I just want "Americans" (everyone from the American continent) to be acknowledged. I am a culture lover and I have learned about the US culture in these almost five years. However, I definitile have a lot more to learn. I really appreciate your comment and yeah I cannot live without visiting Perú at least once a year.

5:18 PM  
Blogger zaratustra said...

What is kind of dumb is peruvians talking in english...but anyway is a fun way to practice.
Las cosas claras. Los japoneses y los europeos han llamado "america" a los EEUU por q justamente ni Europa ni Japon estan en el continente americano...pero un desproposito seria que un argentino le diga americano a un estadounidense (suena ridiculo pero es correcto)cuando ambos son americanos...En realidad la pereza impuso la denominacion de americanos para los gogrins (gringos asi no se dan cuenta q hablas de ellos cuando lo dices en voz alta) ya que para el resto del mundo , especialmente en las guerras mundiales...EEUU era un pais en America y consecuentemente sus habitantes eran "americanos" asi el termino se impuso y luego se generalizo...y como a la mayoria de gringos les va y les viene la geografia...(en q parte de mexico queda Chile?) la comodidad y la costumbre les hizo creer aun hoy q son los unicoa americanos.
Ahora lo q me llama la atencion mucho es q a veces los demas paises tratan de imitar en todo a EEUU pero usualmente no las cosas buenas. Anonimo quien quiera q seas pienso q Maribel hace muy bien en tratar de decir las cosas como son...no por que nos guste to freak out about little details sino por que la verdad debe ser dicha cuando se debe y no contribuir a la creacion de esas grandes mentiras q luego a fuerza de costumbre se vuelven "verdades"...por ejemplo las armas de destruccion masiva de Iraq, la tarea de democratizar medio oriente y otras perlas mas...la vredad ante todo sin q eso quiera decir animadversion contra el gran pais q es EEUU.
saludos
zaratustra

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Verdad: Coincidencia de lo dicho con la realidad.

Mentira: Diferencia entre lo dicho y lo real.

Nota del autor: No porque lo digan muchos va a ser "cierto".
En la verdad, las democracias o "mayorías" no funciona, jejeje

Te felicito por tu blog.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Maribel Vilchez said...

Gracias por tus comentarios Nauta. Es "cierto" cada quien expresa lo que siente mediante sus opiniones y esta es la belleza de ser humanos. Nuestra posibilidad de racionalizar sobre cosas que están a nuestro alrededor y con las que muchas veces no estamos de acuerdo es parte de ser quien somos. SI cada quien escucha al otro encontará alguna lógica y personalmente creo yo que así empiezan los acuerdos.

6:21 PM  
Blogger usonano85 said...

Quiero informarles a todos los hispanohablantes que America en ingles (el mundo anglo-sajon) significa Estados Unidos de America. Punto. Aun en Canada, como sabran, les llaman a los gringos "Americans." Ustedes no tienen con que enojarse.
Me parece absurdo usar el nombre America por dos continentes (no es obvio que son dos?) Si ustedes quieren aferrarse a ideas antecuadas de geografia, Sigan! Acaso ustedes todavia creen que el mundo es plano? Por eso, tenemos el termino "las Americas."

10:35 AM  
Blogger usonano85 said...

I must say that after reading your article I feel ofended. I believe that it is very intolerant for Hispanics to refuse to call nationals of the USA Americans, prefering to call us U.S. People. American was our national denonym long before any other country in "the Americas" became independent. The truth is that Anglos have always distinguished between North America and South America. If I use your logic then I guess I could call people from Colombia, Venezuela, and Egypt "ecuadorianons" because they are located on the Equator or Ecuador del Mundo. Also, I guess its not fair that South Africa has its name because Madigascar is in "Southern Africa." Why can't they be South Africans too? You call yourself a teacher but you apparently can't respect our culture or language. I am a Spanish Medical Interpreter and I always call myself gringo or estadounidense because I respect your culture and language. You have no idea how much I hate to call myself that, but I do it out of respect. Why can't you accept that English and Spanish have different meanings to words?

10:53 AM  
Blogger Maribel Vilchez said...

Dear usonano85,
I´m sorry that you felt offended by the article! I see my blog as a vehicle to state my viewpoint because after all, and as you say it´s all about respecting others' beliefs. You don't have to agree with me on what I think, but to have you listen and just be aware of my ideas is enough. As a Latin American I can tell you that I was taught that there are five continents in the world and I also know, that students in the US are taught that there are seven (which I teach as a sign of respect to the place where I live.) Right there a point of your conception of two continents instead of one! It is not about separating people but understanding people’s cultures. I read some of your articles and you seem to believe that your connections with London (a place that I particularly love,) and Kenya do not influence who you are, and it may be true for you, but to me, that alone talks a lot about a person’s identity. Thanks for your time to comment on my page because people like you contribute to my growth.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home