The Beauty of Dual Language

This site is about my personal experiences in the educational field, bilingualism and cultural encountering. Este espacio tiene información personal desde la perspectiva educativa, de la educación bilingüe y sobre experiencias culturales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Olympia, Washington

I’m originally from Lima, Peru and have been in bilingual education “forever.” I do believe in the great social and academic advantages of bilingualism. I did all my schooling in Perú (of which I can not be prouder!). Later on I migrated to the United States as an exchange teacher for Lincoln Options Elementary school in Olympia, did my masters in Bilingual and multicultural education at Pacific Oaks University in Seattle and now I am teaching at the bilingual Evergreen elementary school in Shelton, Washington.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Back to School - Ver versión en Español abajo

Can you tell I have already started my school year 05-06? I have not been able to write anything since last August. And some people dare to say that we “Teachers” have it easy! I do not want to sound sour but by this time if you have read some of my previous articles you should know that I prefer stating my humble opinions straight forward.

Anyhow, I am back at school (Evergreen Elementary school) with a group of twenty-four adorable second graders and I am more than glad to be with them. In September, we learned about our community and the people that work in. We had the firefighters coming to the school and they got to sit in the fire truck. They were excited! We also visited a latino bakery. They got to see “el panadero” (the baker) making bread, everybody spoke in Spanish there. The owners were a couple of parents from one of our fifth graders and they were very kind to us. They gave us “lots” of bread (and their bakery isn’t that big.)

Now, in our Science unit we are learning about snails and slugs (caracoles y babosas.) We have a tank with many of them and the children are becoming little scientists. We are doing daily observations about where they like to spend most of their time (we have dirt, leaves, water, fruit and vegetables in the tank) and believe me I am surprised of some of the outcomes so far. Today some of my little ones wanted to “cheat” by just writing down random numbers instead of the observed information. And as an assertive teacher that I am (ha, ha…) I came across and gave them “the speech.” What would happen if a scientist that were looking for a cure to a horrible headache, decided to make up information because one day he felt like no doing any observation and gave the medicine to the ill person? Their little hands went up and many answers came. “The person would die if he took the medicine” said one “la persona tendría dolores de cabeza todos los dias” added a latino boy. “el persona enfermo murió” (the sick person died) added a third child – an anglo one (remember that I teach in a dual language school, and they are getting their science plus their literacy in Spanish with me.) He created his own sentence in Spanish. Yes, it’s not perfect but we’re at the beginning of the school year and they come with NO Spanish to me.

I just can be prouder. They understand with reasonable explanations (from their smart teacher of course – a little joke) how important it is for us to find out where do these little animals like to be and what are the best conditions for them to live in harmony with us. As you can see, I am having a lot of fun with these little fellows. They are my inspiration and my reason to be a PROUD BILINGUAL TEACHER.

De regreso a Clases

See English version above

¿Se nota que ya empezaron las clases del año escolar 05-06? No he podido escribir nada desde agosto y algunas personas se atreven a decir que nosotros los “profesores” la tenemos fácil. No quiero sonar amargada pero si ya han leído algunos de mis artículos anteriores ya se habrán dado cuenta que prefiero expresar mi humilde opinión de frente.

En fin, ya estoy de vuelta en el colegio (Evergreen Elementary) con un grupo de veinticuatro adorables niños del segundo grado de primaria. Y estoy más que complacida de estar con ellos. En septiembre aprendimos sobre la comunidad de Shelton y de las personas que trabajan allí. Tuvimos la visita de los bomberos y los niños pudieron subirse al camión de los bomberos. ¡Les encantó! También visitamos a una panadería latina y pudieron ver al panadero haciendo el pan. Los dueños son papás de un niño del quinto grado. Fueron súper amables y nos regalaron “un montón” de pan (y no son un negocio grande).

Ahora en octubre en nuestra unidad de ciencias, estamos estudiando a los caracoles y a las babosas. Tenemos un tanque lleno de ellos. Estos niños se están convirtiendo en pequeños científicos. Estamos observándolos diariamente para conocer su lugar de preferencia en el tanque (tenemos tierra, hojas, agua, fruta y vegetales) y créanme ya estoy sorprendida por algunos de los resultados.

Hoy, algunos de mis pequeños quisieron hacer “trampa” al escribir números al azar en lugar de la información observada. Y por supuesto YO tan certera como soy (ja,ja…) les di el “discurso”. ¿Qué pasaría si un científico que estuviese buscando la cura para un horrible dolor de cabeza, decidiese inventar la información y luego diese la medicina al enfermo? Muchas manitos se elevaron dando muchas respuestas. “The person would die if he took the medicine” (la persona se moriría si tomase la medicina), “la persona tendría dolores de cabeza todos los días” dijo un latino y un tercer niño, anlgo en este caso dijo “el persona enferma murió”. (Recuerden que enseño en un colegio bilingüe y que conmigo llevan ciencias, además de la lecto-escritura en español). Este niño creó su oración y aunque no es perfecta, él la creó. Es el principio del año es escolar y estos niños vienen SIN español

Me siento muy orgullosa. Ellos entienden la importancia del conocer dónde prefieren estar estos animalitos y cuáles son las condiciones que necesitan para convivir con nosotros. Como podrán darse cuenta me estoy divirtiendo mucho con estos pequeños. Ellos son mi inspiración para sentirme una ORGULLOSA PROFESORA BILINGÜE.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
What a coincidence my surname is Vilches and I'm also into bilingualism since I grew up speaking spanish and italian.
I'm Italian-uruguayan.

Nice blog, keep it up!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Maribel Vilchez said...

Hi Horazio,
Really a nice coincidence! I am very proud of being Vilchez (even though we have one different letter the sound is quite the same). I gave a look at your site and it seems that you are into computers at a way higher scale than I am. Congratulations!
Maribel

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home