The Beauty of Dual Language

This site is about my personal experiences in the educational field, bilingualism and cultural encountering. Este espacio tiene información personal desde la perspectiva educativa, de la educación bilingüe y sobre experiencias culturales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Olympia, Washington

I’m originally from Lima, Peru and have been in bilingual education “forever.” I do believe in the great social and academic advantages of bilingualism. I did all my schooling in Perú (of which I can not be prouder!). Later on I migrated to the United States as an exchange teacher for Lincoln Options Elementary school in Olympia, did my masters in Bilingual and multicultural education at Pacific Oaks University in Seattle and now I am teaching at the bilingual Evergreen elementary school in Shelton, Washington.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Immigration is coming. They can take you to jail!”

See Spanish Version below
This is what one of my seven year old students said to me last week. This was the moment when for the first time all the talking about immigration in the United States hit harder on my self. If you have read my previous articles, you know that I teach in a bilingual school, where Latin-American and Euro-American children learn together in an environment with a sense of one whole group of PEOPLE.

After this student’s comment, I started to think about what and how should I tell them as a reason to be absent on May 1st. Government, immigration, politics and economy are big concepts for them, and even though I do believe that they could have understood them I decided to go on a more child friendly road to explain my absence. I had to talk about it after all, they are living it!

In January we talked about Martin Luther King Jr. It was pretty clear that these children got the message and did not like what happened then (not so long ago.) It was the perfect teaching vehicle to explain that something similar is happening now. I said “there are some unjust things happening to some people, to Latino people like myself and like many of the students in our classroom.” (40%) I told them that there are some people that are not being treated equally. And that I needed to join these people that were on the weak end of the situation, to show that we can all live together, contributing with each other without feeling threatened or scared. I also told them that if you stick together as a group, you get stronger and can make a difference. My children know that we belong to one race “the human race” and no matter how different you look you will feel the same in the inside.

I just want to highlight that our children are sensing what we adults are doing, this might sound “clichéd” but it is true. It was sad to know that my students are scared. It is not okay to let them think that it’s fine to be indifferent or careless about others. My perspective as a teacher is telling me that we educators need to make our best to make them feel safe but yet compassionate to others’ problems. It is not my intention to get into politics (even though it is.) I just want you to be aware of the message we are giving to our children.

Thanks,

Maribel vilchez


!Ya viene la Migra. Te Pueden Llevar a la Cárcel!

See English version above

Esto es lo que uno de mis alumnas de siete años me dijo la semana pasada. Esto hizo que todo el tema de inmigración en los Estados Unidos me golpeara más fuerte por primera vez. Si ya han leído mis artículos anteriores sabrán que enseño en un colegio bilingüe en el que niños latinoamericanos y euro americanos aprenden en un ambiente de unidad, de UN grupo de personas.

Después del comentario de mi alumna, me puse a pensar en el cómo y qué les iba a decir a mis chicos como explicación de mi ausencia el 1 de mayo. Los temas de gobierno, política y economía son algo complicados para mis pequeños, pero aunque creo que podrían haberlos comprendido, decidí hacerlo de una forma en la que ellos pudiesen entender y hallar conexión, al fin y al cabo lo están viviendo.

En enero, la clase y yo hablamos de Martin Luther King Jr. y me quedo más que claro que esto niños captaron el mensaje claramente y que no les agradó lo que pasó (no hace mucho). Consideré a esta una oportunidad perfecta para decirles que algo similar estaba sucediendo ahora. Les dije “hay cosas injustas que les están pasando a un grupo de personas, a personas latinas como yo y como muchos de los niños en nuestra clase. (40%). Les dije que había gente a la que no se le estaba tratando con igualdad y que yo sentía que debía unirme a ellos, porque estas personas en este momento estaban en la parte débil de la situación y porque tenía la intención de demostrar de que todos podemos vivir juntos contribuyendo el uno con el otro sin sentirnos con miedo o amenazados.

También les dije que si todos nos unimos, nos hacemos más fuertes y que podemos marcar una diferencia. Mis alumnos saben que nosotros pertenecemos a una raza, la “raza humana” y que aunque nos veamos diferentes por fuera, sentimos lo mismo por dentro.

Lo que quiero resaltar en este artículo, es que los niños perciben lo que nosotros como adultos hacemos y aunque esto puede sonar repetitivo, es verdad. Fue triste el saber que mis niños están asustados. ¡No está bien que piensen que es normal el sentirse indiferentes o insensibles ante los problemas de los demás! Mi punto de vista como profesora me dice que como educadores debemos dar lo mejor de nosotros para brindarles seguridad y a la vez para crear compasión ante los problemas del otro. No es mi intención el meterme en política (aunque lo es), lo único que quiero es que seamos más conscientes del mensaje que les estamos dando a nuestros niños.

Gracias,

Maribel Vilchez

1 Comments:

Blogger Russell Jenkins said...

Hola Maribel,

I love your blog and I am waiting for more news from you!

Eres una inspiracion para mi aqui en Hunacayo, mis clases deben ser mas como los tuyos.

Keep up your woderful work

Russ Jenkins

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home