The Beauty of Dual Language

This site is about my personal experiences in the educational field, bilingualism and cultural encountering. Este espacio tiene información personal desde la perspectiva educativa, de la educación bilingüe y sobre experiencias culturales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Olympia, Washington

I’m originally from Lima, Peru and have been in bilingual education “forever.” I do believe in the great social and academic advantages of bilingualism. I did all my schooling in Perú (of which I can not be prouder!). Later on I migrated to the United States as an exchange teacher for Lincoln Options Elementary school in Olympia, did my masters in Bilingual and multicultural education at Pacific Oaks University in Seattle and now I am teaching at the bilingual Evergreen elementary school in Shelton, Washington.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Role Models Make a Difference

Ver versión es español abajo
January is an interesting month for many reasons. It represents a new beginning. It brings new opportunities to make our New Year resolutions come true, and so on. Also, every January 15th, the United States remembers the birthday of a great role model, Martin Luther King Jr. a great man in the history of this country and in the history of the world. This year, my children and I worked on a mini unit based on him.
We looked at his life through flashcards, read his biography, worked on a time line highlighting Martin Luther King’s most important events, some of the side effects from King’s words and actions (Rosa Parks’ seating in the front of the bus, the black students sitting at the bar and requesting for service in an only white cafeteria, etc.) and also this time line also contained some facts in the history of this country prior to King’s birth, (slavery in this country.) In addition to this, I wrote a chant where the objectives were to become familiar with a part of the United States’ history as well as the understanding of the definition of the word “segregation.” They loved it. They recited every chance they had.

My little second graders talked and wondered about things such as:
• Why didn’t the white people feel bad about having better things than colored people?
• How would the colored people feel about this segregation? They also said:
• If it weren’t for Martin Luther king Jr., we wouldn’t be able to be together.
• It was simple for my children. White people should just have thought on how they would have felt to be in the segregated people’s shoes. That would have solved the problem. Affirmed a couple of my students.

I don’t think that I’ll ever stop being amazed by the little great minds and understanding that some children have. They teach me so much! Once more, my heart beats with emotion and it feels too big to fit my body. I feel so thankful to God and to my life for being a teacher, for having the opportunity of witnessing the process of thinking of these future citizens. Hopefully, at least one of these children will help this world to become a better place to live.

See you next time,

Maribel Vilchez


Ejemplos que realmente marcan la diferencia
See English version above


Enero es un mes interesante por muchas razones. Representa un nuevo inicio, nos da la oportunidad de cumplir con las promesas de año nuevo, etc. También cada 15 de enero en los Estados Unidos recuerda el cumpleaños de Martin Luther King hijo, un gran personaje en la historia de este país y por qué no, del mundo. El pasado enero mis niños y yo creamos una unidad basada en la vida de este ser humano.

Estudiamos su vida a través de fotografías, leímos su biografía, creamos una línea cronológica con los hechos más importantes de su vida, los efectos que sus palabras y acciones produjeron (el hecho de que Rosa Parks se sentase en la parte delantera de un autobús, el que un grupo de estudiantes pidiesen servicio en una cafetería que sólo era para blancos, etc.) Esta línea cronológica también contenía sucesos anteriores al nacimiento de King hijo (la esclavitud en este país). Por último, escribí un cántico que tuvo como objetivos el reconocimiento de hechos de la historia, y la comprensión de la definición de la palabra “segregación”. ¡Les encantó y lo tarareaban en cuanta ocasión tenían!

Estos pequeños hablaban y se preguntaban sobre hechos como:
• El por qué las personas blancas no se sentían mal de tener mejores cosas que las personas de color.
• Se preguntaban sobre el cómo se sentirían las personas de color ante esta separación. También comentaban
• Que si no hubiese sido por Luther King hijo, hoy estaríamos juntos.
• Dijeron que todo hubiese sido muy simple si las personas blancas se hubiesen puesto en el lugar de las personas segregadas, y hubiesen pensado en lo que se sentía. Eso hubiese solucionado el problema. – dijeron dos de mis alumnos

No creo que exista el día en que deje de sorprenderme de la comprensión y las ideas de estos pequeños. ¡Me enseñan tanto! Una vez más mi corazón late con fuerza y parece que no me cabe en el cuerpo. Me siento agradecida con Dios y con la vida por ser profesora, por tener la oportunidad de ser testigo del proceso del desarrollo de las mentes de estos futuros ciudadanos. Espero que por lo menos uno de ellos contribuya a que este mundo sea un mejor lugar para vivir.
Hasta la próxima,

Maribel Vilchez

2 Comments:

Blogger Russell Jenkins said...

Good to see you posting again!

Of course 15th Jan is My birthday too.

I have only two weeks left in Peru before I go back to England, with my new wife, for a year or more.

Life will be very differnt there and I will miss your beautiful country.


Russ
Huncayo
Peru

11:39 AM  
Blogger tremole_group said...

Muy buen post, y muy original el post en 2 idiomas, me gustan tus artículos, son muy instructivos. Si te gusta la musica te puedes pasar por nuestro blog , un saludo cordial.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home